Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )  New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

Humpty Dumpty
Juniper Langdon
Complete Posted: Mar 16 2013, 03:55 PM

Inactive Character
Awards: None
Lina

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

What happens when Humpty Dumpty is not together in the first place? Is it as bad to sit on a wall and have a great fall when there's nothing really worse off afterwards?

Juniper could remember, as a little girl, being told that little nursery rhyme and thinking nothing of it. At most, she was a little sad seeing the cartoon. She was sad, even then, instinctively, about the loss of a life, though fictional.

Why was she not sad now?

The wind blew into her hair and it sprayed over her face, rendering her, momentarily, blind. That unsteadied her balance for a moment and her heart shrank with exhilaration. Juniper thought, for a moment, that she was going to fall from the railing she was balancing on and die. Break. Like Humpty Dumpty.

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
Allison Zelenka
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 04:20 PM

Character
Dun

Allie had just gotten back to the hotel. She had been gone for a day- just one- and then she had come back.

No one really seemed to care that she had disappeared without a word. Granted, she didn't really see anyone on her way in. Plus, if she had seen someone, it would likely be someone she hadn't seen during her three-day stay, anyway. Not everyone knew her. Not everyone had even seen her.

The hotel really wasn't much of a community, from what she could tell. No leader. Little organization. . . She figured she was more concerned about it all than they were.

She had been looking for someone specific when she wandered into the wrong room and saw the girl perched upon the rail. It was an accident, one she immediately regretted because her first instinct was to freeze. Her heart sank, and she had a terrible feeling about it all. The thing about being frozen were she stood was that she couldn't just walk away. When she willed herself to step back out, to resume moving with the urgency that had carried her up to this floor, nothing happened.

After a moment, she cautiously made her way to the door that led out to the open air. When she stepped out onto the balcony, it was with the utmost caution. In fact, she would have sworn she was almost noiseless in her approach-- almost, but not quite. She had made a little noise, at least, when she brushed against the door frame, the waterproof fabric of her coat scratching at the metal.

Once she made it close enough to be within arm's reach of the girl, she made some real noise, saying a meek sort of, "Hi . . ." and casting her round-eyed gaze up at the girl's wind-blown hair. It was a pretty color, she thought.

--------------------
for fear becoming trust
PMx
^
Juniper Langdon
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 04:26 PM

Inactive Character
Lina

She jumped so badly she was really going to fall. Unfortunately for Juniper, it was backwards. Now if only there was a warm, squidgy body to break her fall back onto the balcony...

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
Allison Zelenka
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 04:31 PM

Character
Dun

"Oh!"

Allie caught her.

Well . . . 'caught' was an interesting word for it. She reached for the unknown young balancing lady, got a loose hold on her, and ultimately fell back with her, catching herself on the heel of her hand and catching most of the pretty-haired girl with her own body. Even her attempt to catch herself before smacking the balcony floor was a sort of half-failure. She did catch herself, but only for a second. Then she collapsed onto her elbow.

In the end, she was partly propped with a stranger having fallen on top of her. . . and her hand hurt like hell.

Of course she didn't really pay much attention to that. She was too busy saying, "Sorry! Sorry. I'm sorry. Are you okay?"

--------------------
for fear becoming trust
PMx
^
Juniper Langdon
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 05:11 PM

Inactive Character
Lina

And, just like that, the whole weight of Juniper's body fell on top of another person.

It probably wasn't much of a weight, to be completely honest, since Juniper was skinny and getting skinnier. Even so, she felt the impact on the floor hard as her body, exhausted body came to a sudden stop.

Winded, it took her a few moments to recover and, when she did, she rolled off the person and staggered up on her knees, though she dared not to raise herself at full body height lest the dizziness she already felt got worse. Falling on top of another person twice in a day wouldn't be a record, but it would be embarrassing still.

The girl -- a stranger Juniper did not recognise -- apologised, but it wasn't like she gave a shit about some girl's apology. It wasn't like she gave a shit about hurting another person either. No, what Juniper cared about was the fall.

It was in the wrong direction.

"Just what is your problem?" she questioned, eyes narrowing.

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
Allison Zelenka
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 05:18 PM

Character
Dun

Allie was glad to see the girl get moving, though the lack of response to her question was concerning. When a question came her way, she quickly answered:

"A lot of things, I guess. I mean, you could start with the tons of not-quite-dead people in this city that want to snack on me, but. . . Well, things have to go up from here, so I don't have a ton of complaints!" she explained, her voice increasingly high-pitched.

"Sorry I scared you. I didn't mean to. I definitely didn't mean to." Her stinging palm prompted her to look down as she started to push herself up to sit. ". . . Are you hurt at all?"

There was blood on Allie's hand where she seemed to have scratched her skin against the rough texture of the balcony's floor.

--------------------
for fear becoming trust
PMx
^
Juniper Langdon
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 05:51 PM

Inactive Character
Lina

Oh, funny. End-of-the-world disaster.

"I'm fine," she hissed. She leaned back and was happily surprised to find the railing again, cold against her thin clothes. Her expression remained painfully blank as she looked at the girl. "You should get that bandaged up."

Maybe that'll get you to leave.

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
Allison Zelenka
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 06:01 PM

Character
Dun

"Oh, I'm fine. Just scratched it up. No big deal," she said, carefree.

Of course she didn't dare to move her hand as she cautiously straightened and folded her legs beneath her.

"What were you thinking, hanging out on the rail like that?" She laughed, smiling a little. "I'm glad you fell this way."

It was as if she had forgotten why she had walked in to see this girl balancing up there in the first place.

--------------------
for fear becoming trust
PMx
^
Juniper Langdon
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 06:05 PM

Inactive Character
Lina

"That makes one of us," Juniper grumbled, attempting to stand up. It didn't work very well and she ended up gripping for dear life onto the rail.

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
Allison Zelenka
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 06:11 PM

Character
Dun

"Hey. . ." Allie started softly.

This wasn't what she had expected when she got back to the hotel and stormed up here.

She carefully pushed herself up to stand and stepped closer to the girl, touching a hesitant hand to her shoulder. "Let's go inside. Both of us should probably grab a seat. Maybe introduce ourselves. . . Relax for a sec."

--------------------
for fear becoming trust
PMx
^
Juniper Langdon
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 06:28 PM

Inactive Character
Lina

Juniper's lips tensed. Then they pursed. Then she just looked away. When she looked back, she tried to say it as nicely as possible: "Let me spell it out for you. I want to be alone. Your presence bothers me. You add an inconvenient two to my one. I don't want you here. I don't like you here and I definitely don't care for your company."

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
Allison Zelenka
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 06:37 PM

Character
Dun

Allie withdrew her hand.

"In the spirit of honesty then. . . I need to say I don't trust you to be safe right now, so I feel like I can't leave you alone."

Even if I need to..

"You're going to have to put up with me," she decided, shrugging. "My name's Allie."

--------------------
for fear becoming trust
PMx
^
Juniper Langdon
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 06:47 PM

Inactive Character
Lina

For the love of God. Juniper made a suffocated noise and marched herself back in.

"Where the hell did you even come from?" She'd very happily thought all the gushy good Samaritans had long died and were happily crawling around not being good Samaritans or had long been eaten.

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
Allison Zelenka
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 07:05 PM

Character
Dun

Allie followed calmly. "I came to the hotel a few days ago. I was living northwest of here for a while, but--" she paused. "It's complicated."

Very.

"A lot of things are, these days, I guess," she chuckled lightly.

And on that note. . . "Do you know if Harry's around?"

--------------------
for fear becoming trust
PMx
^
Juniper Langdon
 Posted: Mar 16 2013, 07:11 PM

Inactive Character
Lina

She dumped herself onto an armchair.

"Nope."

--------------------

it is a good day to die
PMx
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options Pages: (4) 1 2 3 ... Last »  New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

City skin by Dun of Newton and RPG-D