New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

Warm Weather, [open]
Francis Keller
 Posted: May 27 2013, 07:45 AM

Character
Awards: None
Dun

The weather had been getting better. The temperatures were warming up enough to get the windows open and air things out. Even at night, having windows open seemed like the best way to go. . . On the upper floors at least. Frankie had enjoyed the fresh air up there, even when it got a little too cold in her room. It was a welcomed break from the stale, stagnant air that had become the norm during the winter months, when heat was hard to generate and about as tough to hold onto. Yet it wasn't all fresh air and good vibes now that the snow had melted. . .

The city had begun to stink. The scent was familiar these days, with half-dead bodies being rather prevalent around here, but warmth really kicked things up a notch. As the snow melted, the properly dead bodies thawed. Then they started to roast. Nothing really smelled pretty anymore, it seemed, but Frankie had gotten used to the base level stink. It was the occasional burst of death-smell that got her.

Yet she wasn't one to make a face about it or complain. Since showing up at the hotel half-frozen and with a foot and a few toes in her own grave, she had been all business all the time. The hotel wasn't properly organized at all. People occasionally sorted out watch schedules and patrols and supply runs, but Frankie rarely trusted anyone else to do what had to be done. While she didn't want to waste energy on a job already being done, she found herself operating under the 'If you want something done right, do it yourself' mentality.

At present, she was sitting just a few yards from the front doors of the hotel. Despite the temperature in the city being far from 'hot' and the even cooler feel of the air in the shadow of the hotel, she was sporting a black tank top and blue jeans. The little blonde hairs on her arms stood at attention, but she paid them no mind. She was focused not on her discomfort or the sickening stench but the guns laid out in front of her.

As always, she kept her ears alert. They always seemed to make some noise-- even the ones that didn't vocalize.

Well, unless they were runners. Those ones had a habit of sneaking up on a girl, Frankie had found. With that in mind, she looked up now and then to take a look around herself, just to busy herself with the guns again.

She had two half-dismantled handguns sitting in front of her and a small automatic at her side. There was a city map pinned under her right heel with a few stars and circles scribbled onto it with red pen. Lifting her mirrored shades off her eyes and up onto her head, she glanced at the map then picked up one of the gun parts by her other foot, lifting it off the blue rag spread out between her legs and and up to her face to get a closer look at it.

After a moment, she tossed the part a long way, off across the little courtyard in the direction of the park. Despite the force behind the throw, she seemed uninspired by frustration or anything else as her arm came to rest with her elbow upon her knee. The harsh clack as the piece hit the ground some distance away was ignored.

In fairness, she hadn't even looked up to see the person she had nearly hit with the projectile. It wasn't a matter of malicious intent or disrespect but rather pure ignorance.

--------------------
it is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society
PMx
^
Cooper Wallace
 Posted: Jun 24 2013, 05:42 PM

Character
N/A

Anyone who knew the real Cooper, one who could read his dark thoughts kept secret, would consider him truly evil. One would be compelled to wonder what he was thinking, what his plan was. What kind of ill thoughts were running through his mind in this moment. What a beautiful day today is. Probably not the first guess. Cooper stood in the open door looking out at the scenery, not much to see. The weather was by no means perfect, but it was good enough to finally shed his coat. He still wouldn't do so, the knives held in the sleeves by cleverly crafted sheathes made him feel a bit more comfortable in certain situations. He saw someone sitting close by, this was a good time to continue his mission. He was determined to get to know all the guests at the hotel and hopefully gain their trust. It would be easier to complete his plan if they didn't see it coming.

He crossed the threshold of the door and closed it behind him. He casually made his way over to the stranger only to be stopped in his tracks when a dismantled pistol come flying towards him and bounced off the ground a few inches away from his right foot. Well that was rude. He looked down at the weapon and bent over picking it up. He examined the weapon for a moment before continuing to make his way over to the girl who threw it.

"I think you dropped this." Cooper said slightly sarcastically. He stood behind her looking over her right shoulder down at what she was working on. He held the weapon in his left hand with the handle facing her. "Hey there, my name is Cooper."
PMx
^
Francis Keller
 Posted: Jul 1 2013, 10:55 AM

Character
Dun

Frankie glanced back over her shoulder and up to see the kid there. If she was puzzled by the introduction and the return of something tossed aside, she didn't show it. Instead she eyed him blankly, then twisted to reach for what was being held out for her to take.

"Nice to meet you, Cooper," she said, her tone bland. "I'm Frankie."

After taking the discarded weapon from him, she gave it a quick once-over, then dropped it down beside her. Still uninteresting. Still probably useless. Still out of her way.

There was no handshake offered-- none of that excessively polite stuff. The introduction was enough. His name for hers. Exchange complete.

. . . but then she supposed he had initiated this for conversation.

"You happen to have any handguns lying around, Cooper?" she asked in an awfully casual sort of way.

Maybe she wasn't doing such a great job of staying normal through all of this.

--------------------
PMx
^
Cooper Wallace
 Posted: Jul 3 2013, 10:26 AM

Character
N/A

He listened as she introduced herself and thought to himself there's something different about this one. She seemed to show more interest in her weapons than in the chance to meet someone new. He decided to invite himself to take a seat beside her and watch as she worked on the weapons.

"Well to be honest Frankie, I don't really care too much for guns. They are loud and clumsy, they attract way too much attention. Plus as soon as you run out of ammo your weapon become useless. On top of that you have to set aside time for maintenance or your weapon will fail."

He held his arm up with the opening of his sleeve pointed towards the ground and flexed his wrist forward. He then caught a knife that fell from his sleeve.

"I prefer to carry around an assortment of blades. They are easy to hide, have a wide range of uses, and in the right hands they are quite deadly. When it comes to killing they are silent, won't attract the attention of a horde like the loud bang of a firearm. Or if you did choose to make a noise with one..."

He then took aim at a nearby tree and throws the blade in its direction. With a loud thud it sticks into the tree at an impressive twenty-five yards away.

"...you can control who hears is and where. Like a deadly ventriloquist."
PMx
^
Francis Keller
 Posted: Jul 9 2013, 09:22 PM

Character
Dun

Frankie stared blankly.

"What the hell is a kid doing with a bunch of knives, acting like a 'deadly ventriloquist'? Shit." For someone who was somewhat confused and mildly bothered, she sure did seem rather calm about the whole thing. Her voice had a bit of color to it, but she was back to paying attention to the weapon parts around her in a flash.

Sure, younger people were being forced to grow up fast, since the world was doing a crap job of returning back to normal, but knife-throwing teenagers with blades up their sleeves?

Frankie was starting to feel like the stupid newbie character in a bad action movie, which seemed a little sad, given that she was a gun-totin' cop before all of this.

--------------------
PMx
^
Cooper Wallace
 Posted: Jul 10 2013, 11:40 PM

Character
N/A

Cooper grinned at her reply, in a way he took what she said as a compliment. "Well to be completely honest, I've never been like normal people my age. I feel like I have always had a more intimate understanding of the more shady side of human nature. I had to adapt at a young age to some less than pleasant living conditions. In fact I saw this disaster as an opportunity to start over and make a new more satisfying life, and with my ability to adapt, I would say I am doing well at it. Always have to look for the silver linings." This was the first time he had ever openly shared an honest thought to someone before. He sensed that she may also be someone with a more...unique...personality compared to most. Maybe he had met someone who would actually get his true side.

He then invited himself to take a seat beside her, sliding the discarded weapon out of the way. "So what do you think of this place, and the people that make up this community?"
PMx
^
Francis Keller
 Posted: Jul 20 2013, 04:10 AM

Character
Dun

Frankie listened with raised brows and a good amount of silence. She was paying attention, just taking the information in. Of course she was also busying herself to some extent with the weaponry in front of her, but it wasn't a method of enabling her to ignore what she was hearing. Her gaze drifted over to the kid periodically.

When he questioned her, she shrugged. "Well, the people didn't go ahead and let me die when I got here, so they're alright in my book-- at least the ones that helped me out." She wasn't exactly best friends with any of them, but she had figured out some names: Harry, March, Ian. . . "Could have left me out in the cold, but they didn't. Not going to forget that anytime soon, but I'm leaving room for some of them to decide to be a little less benevolent and a little more hostile."

"As a whole, the place is unorganized and a little problematic, but it's probably the best place to be for now."

The hotel was something of a gem, as it was. She didn't plan to completely abandon it until she had to. Still, she wasn't counting it as a permanent safe haven.

--------------------
PMx
^
Cooper Wallace
 Posted: Jul 26 2013, 10:41 AM

Character
N/A

Cooper took a mental note of everything she was saying, this had been the first time he had had this fruitful of a conversation with someone else in the hotel. This was the kind of conversation he needed to be having to learn more about this place and the people in it.

"Unorganized and problematic? Sounds to me like this place just lacks good leadership. Has anyone taken that position? In my opinion the best way for a group of people to survive is for everyone to be on the same page. Without organization its kind of hard to make that happen."

He looked over to her to see if what he was saying was getting her attention, "What do you think?"
PMx
^
Francis Keller
 Posted: Aug 21 2013, 07:39 AM

Character
Dun

Frankie only tossed him a brief glance.

"Nobody's stepped up to the plate yet. There're people like Harry who know a lot about what's happening around the place. People listen to them. Doesn't make them the top dogs or governors, though. I figure anyone capable of taking charge is just too smart to try."

It wasn't an easy job. Some people there probably didn't want to follow someone else's lead.

"If someone wants to step up to the plate, all the power to 'em. Might help keep track of resources and make sure we've got some needed security around the hotel. . . But I'm not expecting that to happen."

--------------------
PMx
^
Cooper Wallace
 Posted: Aug 24 2013, 09:39 AM

Character
N/A

So this Harry guy had potential, maybe Cooper would have to pay him a visit later. For right now though it seemed there was nothing else to gain from this conversation topic. Cooper looked down at the weapons she had near her and back to Frankie. A grin flashed across his face.

"So out of curiosity, what happens when you are in bad situation with a horde or some bandits and you run out of ammo? Do you know how to take care of things without those guns?"

His tone had a little bit of cockiness to it now, almost like he was issuing a challenge.
PMx
^
Francis Keller
 Posted: Aug 30 2013, 06:52 PM

Character
Dun

"I can handle it," Frankie stated bluntly. "Probably wouldn't be alive at this point if I couldn't."

It wasn't like there were loaded guns lying around everywhere, waiting for needy survivors to pick them up.

"Why, you think a chick can't handle herself?"

It was a plainly spoken question, but there was a slight tug at one corner of her lips as she asked it.

--------------------
PMx
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options   New Reply  New Topic  New Poll 

City skin by Dun of Newton and RPG-D